Friday 15 December 2017

Cutting & Coloring: How do YOU flow?

Everyone knows that pacing is important, but color grading and correction is also a vital and essential part to every production. So... how do YOU flow? I've been coloring still images professionally for some time now and have recently begun coloring video. The tools may not be the same between the two mediums, but the techniques and experience definitely carry over. I already have great experience in the editing room, preferring Adobe Premiere over FCP and AVID MC.
Here's my workflow. This discussion is intended to help people find one that works for them. So share yours!

1) I Import directly into Adobe Premiere and begin my rough cut. My rough cut does not include transitions, post-stabilization or coloring of any kind (unless I make minor corrections to remind me of my desired look)

2) I then make a copy of my rough-cut timeline and edit for pacing, again ignoring post-stabilization, transitions, and coloring. (Aside from these PP steps, this will be my absolute final cut.)

3) Export from Adobe Premiere to a Final Cut Pro XML file.

4) Create a new project in DaVinci Resolve and import my previously imported XML file. (For those that don't know, DaVinci Resolve is the industry standard coloring software and its LITE version is available free with minimal restrictions.) The reason for avoiding post-stabilization, transitions or pre-coloring in the steps above is because those changes are lost upon export to XML. I learned that the hard way my first time, and wasted a lot of time.

5) Complete my coloring in DaVinci Resolve. This makes for many discussions in and of itself.

6) "Deliver" using the Easy Set-Up "Final Cut Pro XML Round-Trip" Preset.

7) Import the XML from DaVinci Resolve back into Premiere Pro. It will import all your colored and exported files from DaVinci into your new project, so have a bin ready for everything.

6) Review your new post-coloring timeline. Time to add post-stabilization and desired transitions (If any, if you're George Lucas then you'll have a lot of transitions to add).

7) Review your new timeline and repeat any necessary steps.

8) Export in your desired format, and enjoy your cookies! Popcorn never was my favorite.
I am curious as to people's experiences using Adobe Prelude and their Speedgrade software. My experience with both has been negative, with Speedgrade crashing frequently. My computer is no sissy to say the least, so Speedgrade sped right into my trash bin.
Happy cutting!
   

     

No comments:

Post a Comment