Wednesday 27 December 2017

BUYING A RED WEAPON 8K WORTH IT?

Here is the question. I currently own a Toronto based Real Estate Photography/Video Production business, and it's going quite well. I've been able to hire a few people, make a very comfortable living, and everything is perfect.
The truth is, I'd love to start transitioning into more narrative work, being in Toronto there is plenty of gigs out here, but I don't have any contacts and that seems to be the only way to get work (not necessary true I know but let's be honest it's all about who you know). I decided to start my own business instead of going to film school so I only know 1-2 other filmmakers.

I am 20 years old, so I'm in no rush but in a few years time I'd love to be a full time narrative filmmaker. Sounds crazy but at 16 I said I'd be making 6 figures by 20 and I made that happen so why not. :)
I'm looking at purchasing a RED camera package, with a nice set of Canon Cinema Primes. I would be an owner/operator, offering my camera at no cost as long as I get to use it on set, mainly to gain experience and contacts. When not being used, I'd be renting it out (also purchasing a very good theft/damage insurance on it), to hopefully make it pay for itself.
Before making the insane purchase, I'd be testing the rental market for a few months to see how many potential clients I can get per month, I plan on being cheaper than the Toronto rental market of course.
Do I sound crazy? Or could the plan potentially work? What's the best RED package for what I'm looking for? Is there a better camera in that price range that has the same industry 'wow'?
Thanks everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment